Tuesday 28 April 2015

Assisting a University Student

I was contacted by a University Student to answer a number of questions about Fashion and Beauty Blogging with reference to Identity. As I explored Identity in my Responsive Module last year, looking into makeup, and have continued to explore Blogging throughout my Final Major Project and my Dissertation, I was happy to share my views.
These are my responses to the questions asked.

"Name: Laura Sweetingham

Blog: www.lauracinnamon.co.uk

Please provide as much of an in depth answer as possible, bearing in mind I am primarily researching into how fashion/beauty blogging impacts your sense of identity.

Why did you start fashion/beauty blogging?

I began blogging when I recognized how people were asking where my clothes were from. I got stopped in the street three times in a day and decided that perhaps an audience would be interested in seeing my various outfits.

How long have you been doing it? And how frequently do you post?

I initially set up my blog in 2012 but have been fairly on/off until more recently (about 5/6 months ago). At the moment, I’m posting between 1-2 times per week, depending on levels of Uni work.

How to you feel fashion/beauty blogging has impacted on your lifestyle?

I think it’s made me more conscious of what people think, but it’s also made me a lot more confident in myself. I feel sometimes that I need to share a great deal of my day on social media in order to keep up with others. In a positive light, it’s played a huge part in my drive throughout University and has helped me to secure internships and a job for when I graduate.

How do you feel it has impacted on your identity? 

I’ve definitely formed a strong personal style through the experimentation of outfits. I’ve examined each outfit I’ve posted in far more depth than I would a day-to-day outfit, and as a result have tailored my style according to what I’ve liked most. As mentioned before, it’s also greatly increased my confidence, and encouraged me to make bolder fashion choices.

Do you feel the voice of the blog is you’re own or performative? (as in do you adopt a different voice/role for the blog than you normally would – if so would you consider blogging in a way that enables you to communicate a different version of yourself?

I think my blog is definitely my own voice. This has developed overtime from a performative voice as I’ve started to share more lifestyle-based posts and express more opinion, making my blog more personal. I do, however, have to be a little more restrained on some topics, on my blog and social media, due to the criticism/backlash or loss of readership that may happen as a result, and to refrain from offending anyone. (For example, I chose to not express my views on the recent #wearethey phenomenon following Jamelia’s comments. I do support Plus-size in the media but definitely think there is a healthy limit and we shouldn’t encourage sizes that may affect people’s health, on either side of the scale. I have considered discussing this on my blog, but don’t want to risk offending people/it being misread.)

Has fashion/beauty blogging changed anything about you and how you view yourself? If so, how?

It’s definitely made me more confident in both myself and my personal style, allowing me to make braver choices, and ultimately be happier. I’ve never been shy, but it’s been recognized a lot by people who’ve known me for a long time as to how I’m more comfortable and confident in myself than before.

How do you think your blog may impact others and their sense of identity?

I try to encourage others to feel confident too by sharing personal experiences, style and varying lifestyle posts. I am currently producing a series of ‘inspirational’ films that will be shared on my blog, in the hope of inspiring and helping others. As my blog is pretty ‘real’ (you will see me in the same jeans all the time and I don’t only wear my clothes once) I think it isn’t likely to negatively impact someone’s sense of identity.

How would you say you try to convey yourself through blogging?

Admittedly, I think theres always going to be an element of trying to “fit in” in blogging. You can see this through the timeline of my Instagram photos, they’ve become brighter, whiter and clearer. I don’t lay my makeup out on the bed before I get ready unless its for photography purposes, and I certainly wouldn’t wait a few minutes after my food arrives before digging in unless it was for blogging purposes. I guess this means I try to convey myself as a blogger, I do try to make my life look whiter, nicer and more exciting, something people would want to aspire to, as that’s largely why people read blogs.

How do you decide/select what is ‘worth’ blogging about?

Anything that interests me is worth blogging about in my opinion. I recently shared some advice I’ve picked up through my Long Distance relationship, mainly because it’s a huge part of my life and I wanted to share it, but also as it’s almost a timeless post, that can be shared on social media for months to come, versus an outfit that would go out of Fashion.

How would you describe yourself?

I describe myself as a confident person who has a keen interest in Fashion. I have recently accepted a job in Fashion for when I graduate and love fully immersing myself in the industry, which is why I spend my spare time blogging and reading blogs.

How would describe your blog? (the voice/tone/content etc)

I think my blog is pretty real and friendly, it’s far from the polished quality of top bloggers, but shows the effort and time I spend on it. I’ve always wanted to keep my content honest and real, and fully disclose any items I’ve been gifted, or where I’ve received money for a post. I write my blog in the same way I’d write messages to my friends, maybe with less emoticons, and wouldn’t change my own tone to suit what people want to read.

Any other comments to make on beauty blogging in relation to your identity:

I think beauty blogging/makeup in general is positive on identity. Most beauty bloggers show themselves without makeup, spots and all, and show all these incredible looks. The before and after allows people to see that no ones ‘perfect’ and can help encourage others to express themselves however they wish.


Lastly, do you give me permission to use your name and information when writing about the research you have provided or would you rather I made you anonymous?

Yes.


Thanks, Tara xxx"
SHARE:

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Context of Practise | All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig