Tuesday 19 May 2015

Cat Morgan - Interview based on 'Untitled Streets'






What’s your creative practise?

Creative Direction, Photography and Styling.

Tell me about ‘Untitled Streets’.

Untitled Streets is a project about style, personality, identity and age. I know that sounds like a lot of things when it’s written down, but really when I capture street portraits it is very simple. It is simply what stands out to me when I see someone on the street. Everybody has a character and everybody has something unique about themselves. This is the challenge of the project, to capture and research what it is that makes someone unique. The exciting part? I never know who I’m going to meet and photograph.

Do you think Leeds has its own personality and how does it differ from other cities?

Definitely, Leeds is full of character. It’s a place of arts, music and is full of different environments to explore. There is a lot of personality in this city but that’s what’s great about Leeds. People welcome you with open arms. Compared to other cities, northerners are a lot friendlier. If I was doing this project in London, everyone is a bit more rushed and busy, and do not have the time to stop and chat. I also don’t know where I’d go in London to meet the types of interesting people I’ve met in Leeds.

What is the most important thing for you to portray through these photos?

It’s mainly what they have to say about themselves. What they’re wearing is obviously important, and what initially catches my eye. It’s also really great when they’re interested in my project, not everyone is, and it varies from person to person. I’ve tried to focus on the older generation, and those that are seen less in the media.

Has it been difficult to find people who want to be photographed?

Yes that’s been the main worry about doing this project, I have 16 photographs altogether from December 2014 to now and that is quite a lot considering how many people hate having their photograph taken! That factor does need to be taken into consideration when doing a project like this, and also where the photograph is going people always want to know that. I’ve had to be clear and precise about my aim when talking to strangers, it takes a lot of courage, but I have learnt a lot.

What’s the most interesting story you’ve heard?

I met Jean in Easter holidays who is my oldest participant, she is 86. She lost some fingers due to a coal mine accident and then whilst I was taking the photograph she starting mumbling the song ‘smile’ I asked her if she liked that song, and she said she sings it everyday because her husband died recently and they used to sing it together. I met twins Sylvia and Susan and they were great. They also did a studio shoot for my self-published book and that was a lot of fun. Its great that they were happy to get involved as the whole project is a celebration of senior style.

Do you plan on continuing this work into your future professional practise?

I think I will, but as I won’t be living in Leeds anymore come the summer I will definitely start another project like this, it has been stressful, but I’m pleased I carried on because I was really close to giving up at many points.





SHARE:

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Context of Practise | All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig